Nov 5, 2020

How to make a Sunflower polymer clay cane - a mini tutorial presentation - Free tutorial


In this mini-tutorial presentation I share with you a new approach for constructing a sunflower cane. It starts the same, making the base petal cane, but then I've made a twist...


I made the base petal cane and reduced it to a long cane and divided it to 6 pieces, then gathered them into 2 groups of 3 petals.


I added the sky blue background to the first group and made a leaf cane for the second petals group.


Then I've added the leaf cane to the second petal group and continued to add the blue background to both 2 groups with the intention to get a trapezoid kind of shape.
Yes, this is the twist! The cane is constructed with its background and leaves all together and then its assembling is somewhat like a flower cane mixed with a kaleidoscope constructing technique.


The inside of the sunflower is called disk florets and it is very detailed and has an impact on the final result


I've started the disk florets cane very simple, with about 30 green canes then added ginger canes around the greens. For the next 2 rows I've made 2 canes, ginger and warm yellow and wrapped them with some more colors for depth.


I've reduced each group of petals to the same length and was very careful to keep their trapezoid shape, then divided each to 4 pieces.


The disk florets cane was reduced to a diameter that fits the 8 petals pieces and I've attached them to the disk florets quite easily.


Please note that the cane looks like an octagon, so to make it look like a whole circle I've cut its angles from top to bottom and wrapped it all around with a thin sheet of the sky blue background.


And the cane is done! Its weight is 510 gr / 18 ounces, about 9 Fimo soft packages. I let it rest for about 4 days. Its height was at least 9 cm/ 3.5 inch and that made it easier to reduce.




I hope this presentation was helpful and inspiring for you.


If you have fallen in love with this sunflower cane as I have,
you can find it in several sizes at my Etsy

... and until my next post...


11 comments:

  1. Great idea and such beautiful results! Your presentation is easy to follow! Thanks Ronit 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea and such beautiful results! Your presentation is easy to follow.

    clipping path

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing, I love it, especially the colors and can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

01 09 10